I got the writer’s itch pretty early on. Starting out as a music and arts writer in Leeds I moved into news and feature reporting for local and college newspapers.
Along the way I gained a gold standard journalism qualification and three industry-judged awards for a splash, online piece and feature on the representation of Traveller communities within the media. This blog was commended itself at the Blog awards 2012.
In-between and since then I’ve written articles for national broadsheets and regional news, most recently for the Lancashire Telegraph and Wait, where I produce copy for international websites.
I’ve covered serious crime in court, trawled through FOI data and spent a lot of time being rained on (thanks, Manchester weather) to get my story.
Not just a newspaper reporter, I write for the web and create audio and video reports to upload onto it too using Avid Newscutter and Adobe Audition editing software.
Want to know more? Then go here.
What can I do?
- Certified at 100wpm shorthand
- Write splashes and strong leads for regional daily, local, national and specialist audiences
- Use multimedia to produce high quality work that engages audiences
- Use social media to publicise content and generate dialogue with the public
- Report on a wide range of subjects including news, community, crime, celebrity, nature and court cases
- Write features
- Cover court proceedings
- Undertake investigative and data analysis work
I can use:
- Scribe and iNEWS script writer
- Adobe Audition audio editor and Avid Newscutter video editor
- iNEWS script writer
- Quark XPRESS 9
- Ms Excel, Word and Publisher
- Panasonic 71E video camera
- Twitter, Facebook, Soundcloud, Youtube and WordPress
- Data presentation programmes-Tableau, Many Eyes, Dipity, Flipbook etc
- Full,clean driving license
- Knowledge of French and Spanish
- Gained University of Salford Journalism awards 2013 in the scoop of the year, best MA student and best online categories.
- Been awarded Blog North awards 2012 commendation for blog The Rest is Propaganda (name since changed to firstname.lastname@example.org )